Itineraries & Trails
- Macadamia Castle – a family favourite offering a great café, giftware and gourmet food section featuring local produce. The Castle also houses an animal fun park, educational shows, mini golf and a reptile display.
- Thursday Plantation – the original tea tree company has a tea tree maze and education centre as well as an outdoor sculpture exhibition and rainforest walk throughout their grounds.
- Head to Newrybar which is home to the award-winning Harvest Cafe. Harvest Cafe combines stunning contemporary cuisine with a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
- After lunch explore the New Harvest Deli which stocks fresh wood-fired bread & treats baked daily, dry aged meats, boutique cheeses and unique product from local and international sources.
Stretch the legs and explore some of the pathways and scenic walks.
- Historic Ballina Waterfront Walk; from Fawcett Park to North Wall, follows the Richmond River at Ballina – keep an eye out for the dolphins and watch the sun set over the river.
- Pat Morton Lookout – walk along the headland track and take in the stunning rugged coastal landscape.
- Ballina Manor is ideal if dining in a historic building and fine food is what you are looking for.
- Beef n Beach in Lennox Head is one of the local favourites – overlooking the beach it offers lots of yummy seafood on the menu.
- Finish the day off with a home made ice cream at In The Pink Ice Creamery, Lennox Head or Baskins & Robbins in Ballina
Stay the night
- Enjoy a night overlooking the water – Ramada offers rooms with views of the Richmond River or Lennox Head has an abundance of self contained units with ocean views.
- Alternatively, head in to the Hinterland and enjoy the country setting of Alstonville Country Cottages – a unique experience of staying on a rural property with panoramic views down the valley to the ocean.
Add to my itinerary
- There is a craft market, a car boot market or a farmers market somewhere in the Northern Rivers, every weekend.
- Tourist Drive 28 is a great way to spend the morning and explore what the Hinterland has to offer – catch the car ferry over to South Ballina, drive along sugar cane farms to Wardell and begin your scenic drive through the hinterland.
- Summerland House Farm – be tempted by the delicious modern menu inspired by locally grown produce. Afterwards explore Watts Cottage Museum, take a tractor ride around the Macadamia & Avocado farm or spend time in the nursery, gift shop and ‘The Grocer’ store.
- The Pantry is situated on a pecan farm and a beautiful scenic drive to get there will reward you with a lovely place to spend lunch.
- Explore the amazing talent of some local artists – Northern Rivers Community Gallery, Sea Silks Gallery, Marias Fine Art and David Harrison Sculpture Gallery to name just a few.
- Ballina Naval & Maritime Museum, tour Ballina Manor or explore the shops and cafes along Ballina’s River Street – all activities within walking distance of each other.
- Savour freshly shucked oysters, fresh prawns, fish and chips cooked at one of the fish co-ops and sit by the Richmond River watching the trawlers head out.
Add to my itinerary